I have used shrinky dinks in the past, both from my childhood and early in my card making. I was familiar with the typical shrink plastic but never really dabbled into the printable shrinky dink paper. On a recent trip to Michaels; coupon in hand, I ran across some shrinky dink paper in the stamping isle, but this was for ink jet printers. I thought, I have been meaning to shrink some stuff, so…. let me give this a try. I knew I had the typical stuff at home, which was lovely, because this allowed me to compare the two. Keep in mind, I don’t own an ink jet printer, I only have a laser printer. One might think this was an unwise purchase but it turns out, it was meant to be!
To use your stamps with the old school shrink plastic you have to use Staz-On ink or draw with a sharpie marker. After you get your outline, you can color in with colored pencils or alcohol markers. If you try to stamp dye inks on the clear (original) shrink plastic it bleeds and really does not turn out nicely.
I have several wonderful layered stamp sets from The Ton, so I decided to see how it went using my dye based inks on the Inkjet printable Shrinky Dink paper. I started with the wave stamp set because this is SUPER easy to line up. I figured it would be the best way to quickly stamp something out to and see how the results faired. The white shrinky dink paper took the color beautifully. Keep in mind, after I stamped each color, I did not go and try to rub the color off, it looked like some of the ink was sitting on top of the paper, so I did not want to mess up the image. I used slightly lighter colors than I would have normally used because the shrinking will make the color more intense. After stamping I broke out my heat tool (I use for setting embossing powders) and zapped the plastic. This inkjet paper really likes to curl and not release like the original paper does. That is okay, just grab it while it is hot and smash it flat with any heavy surface near by (I used a pot). My first attempted turned out okay, but I was curious if the rolling of the material was because I was using my heat tool. I broke out the toaster oven, set it at 275 degrees and let it warm up. For my second wave, it again curled unbelievably, but easily flattened while warm, however I found it more consistent and just and overall better result in the toaster over as opposed to the heat tool.
Now that I was done testing, it was time to work on a project. I wanted little beers glass embellishments for a card. So I stamped out several beer mugs from The Ton Beer stamp set. I even stamped one in the same colors on the original plastic to give a good comparison. I trimmed the mugs down before popping them in the oven. The package said 3 minutes but I found they were done more quickly than that. And they were curled into little balls, so I took one of the oven a time, uncurled and placed just for a few seconds under a clean, heavy pan. The plastic was not overly hot that I burnt my fingers, but I might just have tough fingers? I don’t know???
So, maybe play it safe when grabbing hot items out of the oven. Maybe it is from all the times I have burnt my fingers while embossing?Here is a side by side comparison of the two types of plastic and stamping on them with dye based ink. You can clearly see that the ink jet one is much more vivid and the other is really fuzzy. Also note the difference in size. I thought maybe that was because I did not heat the ink jet paper long enough, but I did leave one in longer to see if it would eventually uncurl, flatten out and shrink a bit but that did not happen.
Onto my card project!
To add dimension to the cute little beer mugs I used Puffy Velvet (in white), which is a puff paint pen. After you apply it, you let it dry for just a bit and add some heat from a heat tool and the paint begins to puff. It is really awesome. The directions on the pen say to let it fully dry before applying heat for an even puff, but I wanted and uneven puff, so I only let it dry for a few minutes before applying the heat. I also colored the base of the mug with yellow wink of Stella to add shimmer.
For my card background, I found a masculine paper in Fancy Pants Be Different paper pad. I used my anti-static powder tool prior to laying down the Cheers image with versa mark ink. The embossing powder I used was in a monthly kit from Hero Art, is is gold with glitter and I love it it! I want to say it was in the December 2016 kit. I trimmed that background piece down to 5.25″ wide but left the height at 4.25″. My card base was made into a top folding card our of primitive cardstock from MFT. I place some gold crackle looking washi tape by Little B (it was in a very cute Fox pack that I found at JoAnn’s recently) on each edge of the card to fill in the slight gap. I covered the entire back of the background panel with foam adhesive and adhered to card base. Finally, I adhered three beer mug embellishments on an angel along the bottom with large glue dots.
Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my adventures! Happy crafting!